- “Float like a butterfly, sting like a grant rejection.” Muhammad Ali
- “Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but still need to build the relationship with a potential major donor.” Erica Jong
- “Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, and your staff will never let you choose another teambuilding activity again.” Cale Yarborough
- “Believe those who are seeking Equity. Doubt those who find it.” Andre Gide
- “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world, and they can do it better and faster if they got multi-year general operating funds.” Margaret Mead
- “Before I was in nonprofit, I had six theories about how nonprofits should run; now I have worked at six nonprofits and have no theories but a whole lot of random pens.” John Wilmot
- “Beware of monotony; it’s the mother of all deadly retreats.” Edith Wharton
- “You can imprison a man, but not an idea. You can exile a man, but not an idea. You can kill a man, but not an idea. And unfortunately, that idea sometimes involves a golf tournament.” Benazir Bhutto
- “Normal is not something to aspire to, it’s something to get away from. Except on a financial audit.” Jodi Foster
- “When I’m hungry, I eat. When I’m thirsty, I drink. When I feel like saying something important to my board, I get a consultant.” Madonna
- “I don’t mind what social entrepreneurs do, as long as they don’t do it in the streets and frighten the horses.” Victor Hugo
- “Imagination was given to man to compensate for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to help him cope with some foundations’ expectations.” Oscar Wilde
- “Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become emails. Watch your emails; they become meetings. Watch your meetings; they become more meetings. Watch these meetings; they become your destiny.” Lao-Tzu
- “The most effective way to ask for money, is to do it.” Amelia Earhart
- “Success is getting a grant that you want. Happiness is if it renews for several years.” Ingrid Bergman
- “Always remember: If you’re alone in the kitchen preparing for a house party and you drop the hummus and veggies platter, you can just pick it up. Who’s going to know?” Julia Child
- “What the nonprofit sector needs is more brilliant nonprofit leaders with humility. There are very few of us left.” Oscar Levant
- “People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget that you got drunk at a gala.” Maya Angelou
- “Grantwriting is not a matter of counting the words, but making the words count…And also counting the words.” Michelle Amand
- “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are, and don’t forget self-care.” Theodore Roosevelt
- “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and they often join boards.” Bertrand Russell
- “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. OK…never mind what I said.” Confucius
- “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. This is why nonprofit people are so attractive.” Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
25 quotes by famous people if they had worked in nonprofit
20 quotes by famous people if they had worked in nonprofit
10 Game of Thrones quotes you can use at work
Support the maintenance of this website by buying NWB (Now NAF) t-shirts and mugs and other stuff.
Make Mondays suck a little less. Get a notice each Monday morning when a new post arrives. Subscribe to NAF by scrolling to the top right of this page (maybe scroll down a little) and enter in your email address (If you’re on the phone, it may be at the bottom). Also, join the NAF Facebook community for daily hilarity.
Also, join Nonprofit Happy Hour, a peer support group on Facebook, and if you are an ED/CEO, join ED Happy Hour. These are great forums for when you have a problem and want to get advice from colleagues, or you just want to share pictures of unicorns. Check them out.
Donate, or give a grant, to Vu’s organization, Rainier Valley Corps, which has the mission of bringing more leaders of color into the nonprofit sector and getting diverse communities to work together to address systemic issues.